This is where I share my best tips for treating your acne, banishing breakouts, nurturing aging skin—and loving yourself from the inside out.
Deciding on a skincare specialist is a BIG decision! You will create an intimate bond as you build your relationship. Skin care professionals provide a wide range of services from acne treatment to anti-aging. Just like any hiring process, finding the right one is never easy. It can feel difficult, but it doesn’t have to be!
There are many things to consider when choosing who will work on your skin and face…especially for something so important as treating serious conditions or concerns related to your appearance. Here are some tips on what to look out for:
– Do you get along with the skin care professional? If you don’t feel like there is a good connection, do not continue on. Your specialist should be someone that makes you feel comfortable talking about your concerns and needs without feeling judged. Even though you’re just getting to know one another, it’s important for them to make you feel this way! It’s all about the C-O-N-N-E-C-T-I-O-N!
– Is their experience and education up to par? This is an absolute MUST! Make sure they have the proper experience, certifications, and training. If not, look elsewhere!
– What is their location like? Do you feel comfortable going into that area. Does the space feel inviting? Is the space clean? If not…yep, that’s right…look elsewhere! I personally take so much pride in the fact that my clients feel comfortable and safe in my space.
– Get to know your specialist on a more personal level. Not only will this make you feel more comfortable, but it’s important for your treatments as well! This helps them get to know more about YOU, your skin and how they can best treat that particular issue. For example, if there are specific things that you feel like make your acne worse, let them know. Or if you have a certain sunscreen that works best for your skin type…let them know!
– Find out what kind of treatments they offer. Some people are more interested in lasers while others may want peels or other procedures done. Make sure the specialist you choose can accommodate your needs and treatment requests. If you’re unsure what treatment option is best for you, ask your specialist for guidance. For treatments that I don’t specialize in – things like ablative laser treatments, skin tag removal, etc. — I love to refer to other specialists that do focus on those things.
– Ask for recommendations from friends or family members who have had skin care treatments done in the past. If they were happy with their results, find out which specialist they went to. See if you can get a testimonial on their experience.
– Ask to see before and after photos. Most skin care professionals should be able to easily provide such evidence for their work, which can help ease your fears. You’ll be able to see real clients and real results. Before and after photos always get me riled up! I love seeing the change happen!
– When speaking with a specialist over the phone or in person during an initial consultation, be sure to ask about what is included in the visit price and any additional fees. This will help you know if they are a good fit for your needs or not.
Once you find your specialist and you begin working together, you will feel more and more comfortable. You will build trust during your treatment time together. As you begin to see improvement in your skin, you’ll realize there is a good chance they know what they are doing.
I'm excited to share my knowledge and educate you on how to treat and manage your problematic skin.